Saturday 18 June 2016

General Fiasco AS


This months Artist Showcase is a bit of a throw back to the early 10's which (to my grand realisation when researching this piece) right now is well over half a decade ago, boy do I feel old, it truly seems like last week. So the band in question is General Fiasco, a Northern Irish four piece consisting of the brothers Owen and Enda Strathern, Stephen Leacock and Stuart Bell. 

My first experience with them is when I was but a boy and I went to see One Night Only live at a small cramped little venue in Birmingham and who would have thought that ONOs supporting band would have been so good, some would even say they overshadowed the headliner but that's just crazy talk. They did a shortish set of the big tunes as you do and something special stuck with me and I couldn't get them out of my head. They are are still in there bouncing around to this day. 

To date they have only released two albums and boy oh boy what albums they are. Buildings was their first release in 2010 and this was one of those LPs that seemingly never left my CD player. 10 songs of absolute joy and if you hunt around a bit on the internet there is a fantastic acoustic version of Sinking Ships out there. 

Unfaithfully Yours was their second LP released in 2012 and I remember first going into it not knowing what to expect. I should not have been worried because the boys did not disappoint, more of the same quality rock songs with the added bonuses of the occasionally heavier tune. Check out The Age You Start Losing Friends video below. Happy days all round. Lets just hope they come back out of their hiatus soon.

You can stay up to date with the bands goings on HERE so far they seem to post a couple of times a year.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment